I love meals that can double as a simple weekday dinner and a fancy dinner party meal. This seared scallops recipe is on the top of my list. Give them a try next time you have guests coming.
- 4 large scallops
- Green onion, carrots, celery, zucchini, chopped mushrooms and baby spinach leaves, julienned (use any combination of these veggies)
- 3 tbsp olive oil or butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil (fresh if available)
- 3 tbsp Moroccan mustard (optional)
- In a heavy-bottomed steel or cast-iron pan, heat the olive oil or butter.
- Sauté the vegetables until just cooked and not soggy. Add basil for the last minute of cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and divide onto plates.
- Add more oil or butter to the same pan (no need to wash) and add the scallops. Cook on one side on medium heat until brown (2-3 min). Turn over and cook until brown.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. The scallops will not be fully cooked through but will be warm on the inside. If you like your scallops fully cooked, keep them over the heat for a few more minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of Moroccan mustard on the side.