Here’s a superfood you need to eat more of: watercress.
With more calcium than milk and more iron than spinach, watercress is a super vegetable. Its antioxidants reduce inflammation and pain. The sulphur glycosides help with chronic bronchitis. Watercress also improves your eyes, digestion, and bones. And yes, it’s tasty.
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tbs white balsamic or white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 8 oz watercress, trimmed
- 4 hard-cooked large eggs, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup minced sweet onion
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 450°F.2. Combine 1 tbs. of the oil and the cayenne in a small bowl. Put the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss to coat with the cayenne oil. Toast in a single layer until lightly crunchy and golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, curry powder, turmeric powder, maple syrup and mustard. Slowly whisk in the remaining 3 tbs oil.
- In a large bowl, toss the croutons with 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette to soften them slightly. Add the watercress and coat. Divide this mixture onto 4 plates.
- Put the eggs and sweet onion in the same bowl, toss with the remaining vinaigrette, and season to taste with salt.
- Add the egg mixture to the salads. Sprinkle tarragon over top of the egg mixture and serve.
This superfood smoothie recipe is on my list of favorites. It has the 3 key items I always look for in new recipes. Healthy, fast to make and low cost.
It’s healthy. This smoothie is packed full of goodness. And it’s yummy, so a win-win for cells and taste buds.
It’s easy to make. A friend of […]
This vegetable curry is one of my favorite dishes. It’s healthy, anti-inflammatory and delicious. I make a large batch of it every week.
Have it as a side with some protein. Spread it over a bed of brown rice or eat it cold as a snack. Bring it to work for lunch and I bet you’ll […]
Many of us enjoy something having something sweet to sip, but sugary drinks are one of the largest sources of calories in our diet. Instead, you can feel good about having any of these homemade drink ideas. They’re tasty, healthy and easy to make.
4 Healthy Homemade Drink Ideas to Have Instead of Soda
1. Drink sparkling […]
This healthy yam and lentil curry recipe is delicious and simple to make. In my household it’s aways a hit with our guests.
Sometimes we feel tired and sluggish after we eat. Sometimes we feel refreshed – satisfied but not stuffed. We eat in different settings – while relaxing with friends, rushed at lunchtime, running to catch a bus, driving in the car, or out of frustration or loneliness. We also eat things that come out of packages […]
Why do some people think that all the superfoods we’re supposed to eat are so expensive?
They don’t have to be. The media tells us every six months that there is a new mystical fruit or oil that we have to consume in order to live long. Let’s not fall for that marketing spin. They may […]