Healthy Thai Red Curry Your Family will Love
Weeknight dinners don’t have to be boring.
Ever wished you could just blink and have food appear? Curries come pretty close. They’re almost as quick and at least twice as healthy as most takeout meals. Tasty, anti-inflammatory, and also easy on the grocery bill, curries are a staple at my dinner table.
Feel like having something special tonight? Take this healthy Thai Red Curry recipe as a template and add your favorite ingredients. Hands-down, curries will be a winner in your kitchen. And with your family.
Thai Red Curry
2 tbsp red curry paste
2-3 tsp fish sauce
2 tbsp Sriracha or Sambal Oelek (these are garlic chili sauces)
2 cans coconut milk
1 white onion
Boneless skinless chicken thighs or prawns
1/2 cup broccoli
1/2 cup carrots
1 can bamboo shoots
3 tbsp lemongrass (if available)
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 tbsp peanut butter
1/4 cup roasted peanuts or cashews
3-4 stalks green onion
1. In a skillet, heat the fish sauce. Once warmed, add the white onion and saute until soft.
2. Add the curry paste, peanut butter and both cans of coconut milk. Stir the mixture, allowing it to warm evenly and release its fragrance.
3. Next, add the meat and stir to coat it in the curry mixture. Add in the garlic chili sauce, if using. Cover and allow to mixture simmer for 5 minutes. The key is to only partially cook the meat at this stage so it finishes cooking along with the rest of the ingredients.
4. Add the vegetables and simmer for another 4-6 minutes or until soft. I like to add my mine in stages, starting with the harder vegetables that take longer to cook.
5. Garnish with chopped lemongrass, green onion, basil, cilantro and chopped peanuts or cashews. Serve over brown rice.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Serves 4 or 2 with leftovers
What’s your favorite curry dish?