Recipe: Yam and Lentil Curry
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp of minced fresh ginger
2 large yams cut into 1×2 inch chunks.
1 can coconut milk
2 tbsp of a curry mix powder – muchi or madaras or any other flavor you like that contains turmeric
1 tbsp of ground fresh turmeric and 1 tbsp of turmeric powder. (I use more turmeric and add a little maple syrup to take away its bitterness.)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp of cardamom
1 tsp ground coriander
6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock
ground pepper to taste and salt to taste
1 can of stewed chopped tomatoes. Or 2-3 large chopped fresh tomatoes.
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 cup lentils
1 cup split green peas
1 hot pepper to taste
1. Saute the onion and garlic in oil until soft, then add ginger. Add coconut milk and all the spices. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
2. Add the hot pepper (optional).
3. Add the stock.
4. Add lentils and split peas.
5. Add tomatoes and lemon juice and cook till the vegetables and lentils are soft.
6. To adjust the seasoning, add a tablespoon of maple syrup or a few Medjool dates. If you choose the dates, blend them with 1/4 cup of water to make a sweet syrup.
7. You may need to add more stock or water if soup is too thick.
Serving tips: Serve with grilled chicken and a dollop of yogurt. If you have leftovers, serve them over quinoa for a delicious vegetarian meal.